CHRIS BURTON EVENTING

Home » General News » The great Newsprint.

The great Newsprint.

Hope I don’t bore you to death with this one, but I have to tell you about the love of my life, who happens to be a dark brown gelding called Newsprint or Barry to us.

Barry showed, once again what a cross country machine he is, when he made the time around the very tough, very steep course in the British open championships at Gatcombe on the weekend. This class is famous for being hard to make the time and each year only a few make it. I rode in the advanced class here in 2004 and have always wanted to come back with a horse like Newsprint and give it a go.

He did a beautiful relaxed test and even did his flying changes clean and on the markers, the one chink in his armour, that movement.

I had one down in the show jumping and it was all my fault. I was so angry with myself for letting him down, he always wants to try to please in this Phase by jumping a clear round. (Sorry Baz).

Because I know him so well, he is such a pleasure for me to ride on course these days. I don’t need to use the reins I don’t need to use my legs I just think it and it’s like he can hear me. I don’t even know why I wear spurs on him. He is such a freak galloper that when I thought he was tired near the end of the course, he thought I meant go faster and shot off after the 3rd last fence and found an extra gear, quite amazing! I had to slow him down though because we had done more than enough to make the time and we were able to slowly canter the last few fences to finish the day in 5th place.

Advertisements

8 Comments

1. Anita says:

YAHOOOOOO! Love Baz he is the legend! Congrates to you both. I hope he looks after mum today on the “hack out”.
    The blog is fantatsic- keep it up 🙂

A 🙂

2. Marianne says:

S U P E R !! Keep those “oldies” going and fit – love them and look after them! As you can

see they are worth it!

Reading your riding report gives strength and joy!! So happy for and with you!!!!

3. Thank you for letting me share the moment. Barry was amazing, truely amazing to watch him trying so hard.

And yes, he did look after an old thing. What a wonderful walk he has! Even showed Ken how to behave.

4. Megan Drennan says:

Hi Chrit, I’m loving your blog!!! You should write a book! It’s a very entertaining read! You sound like you are settling in very well, and I’m so proud of you doing so well!! Let me know if you need a groom for Burghley as I might just jump on a plane and come help you! 🙂 Keep up the good work! Take care, your big cousin, Megan xx

5. Treasa says:

You are really going well Chris, you and your team. Stay well. I will wave to you across the pond!

6. Lyn says:

Good on you Chris and Barry – age and wisdom will beat youth and treachery any day!!

7. Mum says:

Mum
    Love you and very proud of you !!

8. Deo Juvante says:

Hey Chris whats this about you and Newsprint? I thought I was the love of your life.

DEO

P.S Just kidding I just wish I was over there with you.Keep up the fantastic work and good luck.